Thursday 29 September 2011

New sounds from sad times

Tonight is the first time in my life that I've ever sat down and listened to Johnny Cash off my own bat. Previously, I had only really heard him at my uncle's place when I visited. He was a huge fan.

I got a phone call from my father today to say that my uncle (my mother's older brother) had passed away. My mother - understandably - is gutted. From my perspective, apart from worrying about my mother, the news has hit me much, much harder than I could have imagined. My uncle lived in London so we didn't see him often. But he was always a presence in our lives - he would come up in conversation or he would phone and, when occassion called, he visited. Those were fun times. They were funny times. He was a great character: he had one of the biggest hearts you could ever imagine and worshipped his family, yet he took absolutely no shit whatsoever. He had a heart of gold and balls of steel. He was a legend and I really can't believe he's not around any more. Thanks to the birth of my son I was really lucky to get to talk to him the other day. As I was driving into the hospital he rang to say congratulations and ask how everything was. Sad times that bring back some wonderful memories. I'm really going to miss him.

Rest In Peace Bobes. It took a while but you've finally turned me into a Johnny Cash listener. I'm really loving this music. And as I have a drink in your honour, I'm having fond memories of hanging out with you at your place, having a few drinks and blasting Johnny Cash.

Thanks for everything.
J x

No comments:

Post a Comment